Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Updates

OK, so I started this Blog mainly with the intention of keeping interested folks up to date on what has been happening with me, and what is currently happening.  However I discoverde that I had a story(s) to tell. So now it has been brought to my attention that I have been somewhat remiss in bringing eveyone up to date as I digress into other stories. So, for the benefit of those who would like a quick update, I will provide a quick timeline and we will continue with filling in the gaps later:

2012

February 25: Admitted to hospital in Las Vegas with what was initially diagnosed as pneumonia

March 06: Discharged from hospital in Las Vegas with undiagnosed pulmonary condition

March 07: Admitted to St. Pauls hospital in Vancouver

April 04: Discharged from St. Pauls with what is now diagnosed as an Interstitial  Lung Disease (ILD). this is an umbrella diagnosis of which there are numerous sub catergories and hundreds of possibilities. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF), Non-Specific Interstitial Pneumonia (NSIP), connective tissue diseases (ie lupus, rheumatoid arthritis etc) and on and on. Bottom line is that they know there is progressive scarring of the lungs. The damage done is irreversible and it is getting worse. What caused it and why is unknown. I am told that the sudden onset is rare. They start me on monthly IV treatments of Cyclophosphamide. I am on supplemental oxygen full time

May 10: Meet with Medical Director of the Lung Transplant Program of BC. Decision is made to proceed with the Pre Assessment process for a lung transplant

September 01: Pre Assessment process is almost complete and we move to Vancouver in order to be close to the hospital and we are required to be in Vancouver for a minimum 3 months post transplant

October 20: Condition deteriorated, can't have any exertion, can't get up out of bed. back to St Pauls

November 13: Placed on the priority list for a lung transplant. Discharged once again. Supplemental oxygen requirement has increased to 6 lpm through nasal prongs at rest, plus an extra 15 lpm through a simple mask with any exertion (standing up)

Today: Sitting in the basement suite in Vancouver patiently awaiting the new lungs, which apparently have been delayed  in transit somewhere....


That's it, you are now current. One other note though, my niece Brenda is also awaiting a transplant, a kidney transplant. She could be on a waiting list for up to eight years.  So please do me a couple of kind favours:
1. Register as an organ donor. If you found this blog, then I am confident that you can find the appropriate agency and requirements for your Province or State
2. Check out her Blog: beanstalkblogger.wordpress.com. Her recent post on waiting for a transplant is an excellent read

Last thing, for those who were having difficulty leaving a comment, I think I have that fixed, so try again

OK, next time we go back to Las Vegas.

2 comments:

  1. I have to wait another day for you to continue writing on the Vegas trip? I'm going through withdrawal (kinda like missing an episode of Coronation Street).

    Do you really have a set of lungs lost in the mail? My brother is a guru with FedEX and I can always put you in touch...

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got the bug (or whatever was blocking comments)fixed! Excellent writing, my friend. You've converted your 'racconteur' storytelling to some top drawer prose. I always wondered what happened to that Vega...

    ReplyDelete