Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Sorry for the delay

Let me start out by first saying, in the words of Gary Bettman, "I'm sorry". I have no real excuse for  not posting more frequently. All I can say is that at the end of each day I say OK, tomorrow I will post something, and then the day slips away and that night I again promise myself I will post tomorrow... It seems ridiculous, given that  I am stuck in this recliner chair and, with the exception of  the odd doctors appointment, don't have anything else I have to do. All I can say in my defence is that the cough that  comes along with the fibrosis, has gotten worse. As a result I am  taking more medication to control that. The meds make me a little loopy (I hear you that are saying I am loopy even without the meds), and drowsy. But I think even  more to  the point, it seems to drain any ambition. In any event, here I am again.

So, quick health update. Despite my tardiness in posting, I am fine. As noted above, my cough has got a little worse, but that is mostly controlled by taking more drugs. Outside of that, and the  fact that I can't walk to the bathroom, even with increased oxygen, I feel very healthy. No aches or pains, no  headaches, and even  though  I am restricted to the recliner,  not stiffness or soreness. Outside of recent digestive issues, resulting in nauseous feelings and upset stomach, I am surprised at how well I feel. There are friends and family that have recently contracted the Flu and they look and sound worse than me!

As many of you know, this ordeal has left Arletha and I without any source of income. Back in May 2012, when I was told that the only treatment option left was transplant, it became apparent that we were going to be in some serious financial trouble. Visions of  losing our home and having to go on Welfare were front and centre. It was then that we came to understand and appreciate the depth of love and support from our family and friends. One can say that  you should be able to count  on  family to  step  up, but I know that does not  happen in all families, sometimes due to the family relationship themselves, but sometimes simply due to the fact that  the  familyy does not have the funds or the wherewithal with which to help even if they wanted to. My family has done so much more than just step up. Their constant love and support, both emotionally and financially, has been truly life saving.  We have been so fortunate and we try to never lose sight of that fact. In addition to our  families, Arletha and I have been blessed with the generosity of truly amazing friends on the Sunshine Coast like Gary & Sharlene, Marc & Ingrid, Mike & Kate, as well as dear friends from Thunder Bay, John & Patti and Arlethas' friends, the Smelly Cats from New Brunswick, and so, so  many others.  There are so many and too many to list, some of whom we have never even met, but please know that  all of you have a special place in our hearts.

Over the Christmas holidays I, like so many others, enjoy listening to Christmas songs. My brother Tony introduced me to some very off colour songs by a fellow by the name of Kevin "bloody" Wilson. He does a song in which a small boy and girl express their displeasure with Santa for not bringing them the things they asked for. One line from the song goes " Hey Santa you geriatric old fart, you forgot my f---ing bike" While I don't condone the  use of foul language during the Christmas season, I must also express my displeasure in not receiving my lungs for Christmas. for those of you who are not  easily offended you can get the song on youtube. Substitute lungs for bike, and you will get the idea about how I feel about still sitting  here waiting lol

OK, that is is for now. I know I promised a story about the stay in Vegas and I will get to it, but really wanted to get this  update out there. Thank you to everyone for their ongoing love and support, it truly means so much to Arletha and I.

3 comments:

  1. Ever hear that song by The Kinks "Father Christmas, Gimme Some Money"? Same idea. Good to read your writing...again.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe Mike & Arletha, just read all of this...so unreal, you are both in my thoughts & prayers...so sorry that you are both going through so much..I cannot imagine...I didn't work much last year or would definitely contribute..wish I was closer so I could help in any other way..Wish you well my friends...keep up the fight & stay in touch please..Hugs to both of you..Love Nola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time for another posting!!!! yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! xoxoxox Judy D.

    ReplyDelete